We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Please see our cookie policy for more information.

Subscribe to our email newsletter and you’ll be the first to hear about all exclusive offers, event and competitions.

Subscribe to our email newsletter and you’ll be the first to hear about all exclusive offers, event and competitions.

HUMAN FOOD

We love to cook ourselves lots of diverse and tasty treats to eat and snack on. Some of these dogs are ok to eat, others are really bad for dogs, even though they taste great to us. We’ll go through some of the foods dog should stay well away from. Let’s start with the one we all know:

Chocolate

 

Hopefully we all know that chocolate is poisonous to dogs. The darker the chocolate, the worse it is. Even white chocolate isn’t great (it is still full of fat and could give your dog an upset tummy). Chocolate is actually more poisonous to cats, but they don’t taste sweet things, so you won’t see them chomping down on a chocolate bar. Dogs, on the other hand, will happily scoff chocolate, so that’s why people tell you to never feed chocolate to dogs.

Sweeteners (Xylitol)

 

We’re all told to eat less sugar now-a-days, so companies are increasingly turning to other sweet things that are not sugar. One of these sweeteners is called Xylitol. This sweetener is really bad for dogs, never let your dog eat it under any circumstance. There are other sweeteners out there that are not so bad, but really you shouldn’t be feeding your dog anything with sweeteners in anyway.  

Nuts

 

There are some nuts that are ok for dogs to eat in very small quantities, and there are others that are super bad for dogs. We’ll go through a few of the dangerous ones below but in general, nuts are full of fat, often more than is recommended for dogs even in small amounts. Too much fat in a dog’s diet can cause serious issues. There are plenty of other tasty things dogs can eat as treats rather than nuts.  Before we single out the poisonous nuts, people sometimes give peanuts and peanut butter to dogs. In very small quantities peanuts and peanut butter is ok, but only the de-shelled unsalted varieties. In peanut butter, make sure that there is no Xylitol as a sweetener in there as we mentioned above.

Nut shells

Let’s ignore the nut inside the shell for a second; The outer casing on some nuts can be brittle and snap into very sharp pieces. Pistachios for example often come with the shells still on. If you dog eats any shells like this, it could lead to cuts and scrapes on their insides.

Macadamia Nuts

These are the worst kind of nut for dogs – make sure your dog avoids these at all costs. Scientists don’t actually know why macadamia nuts are bad for dogs, but they do know that dogs eating them get seriously unwell. If you have macadamia nuts covered in chocolate, that’s double trouble. Keep these well away for your four-legged friends.

Brazil / Pecan / walnut

These nuts, not only contain too much fat for a dog to process, but are also very large. Dogs don’t often chew their food as much as us humans do. As such, these large nuts might also pose a choking hazard and be hard for the dog to digest.

Other nuts

We’ve mentioned it before, but we’ll mention it again. Most nuts are too high in fats for dogs. In general, there are better treats to feed your dog.

Grapes / Raisins / Sultanas / Currants

 

Grapes and anything grape related are incredibly dangerous if eaten by dogs. The dried grapes (raisins, sultanas and currants) seem to be even more dangerous. Sometimes dogs can eat large quantities of these and be absolutely fine. Other times dogs can eat a tiny amount and be severely unwell. You need to let someone know immediately if your dog has eaten even the smallest amount of Grapes / Raisins / Sultanas / Currants.

Also remember, these fruits can be found in lots of different foods:

  • Hot Cross Buns
  • Mince Pies
  • Christmas Cake/Pudding
  • Fruit Cake
Onions (including Garlic/Leeks/Shallots/Chives)

 

All of the above vegetables are part of the same family called Allium. This group of oniony veg are all bad for dogs, and all for the same reason. All of them damage the dog’s red blood cells and can cause pretty serious problems. Dogs shouldn’t even eat foods with onions in them like some gravy, bhajis etc.

Mouldy Food and Mouldy Cheese

 

Gone-off, unwanted mouldy food, and also properly aged mouldy cheese are both bad for dogs. If you have a compost area in your garden for food waste, make sure your dogs can’t get to it. And if you can’t resist a nice blue cheese like stilton – keep your dog away.

Lemon/Lime/Grapefruit

 

These three citrus fruits are quite bad for dogs. They will likely give the dog an upset stomach and in large quantities may cause other problems. There are other fruits dogs are allowed, just don’t let them eat these three.

Bones (the ones you cook with meat on)

 

When we say bones, we mean things like chicken bones or lamb bones that we have cooked. These types of bones can be a choking hazard as well as becoming quite brittle (easy to snap) once cooked. If these bones snap while your dog is eating them, they could cause some nasty cuts to the inside of your dog. The large bones you can get from pet stores are ok, but you should supervise your dog while they chew on them.

Dough with Yeast in (before it has baked)

 

If you are budding baker or love perfecting your pizzas from scratch, make sure your dog doesn’t pinch your dough before it has been baked. The yeast inside the dough likes expanding in warm conditions, like an oven….. or your dog’s stomach. If the dough does expand while inside your dog, it could cause bloat and even twisting of the stomach which can be really bad for your dog.

Alcohol

 

You should never give alcohol to dogs – they show all the same symptoms humans do, but more quickly: becoming sleepy and wobbly on their feet. This can quickly begin to become dangerous and lead to signs like low body temp, seizures and coma. Dogs may be interested to try and drink the creamy or eggy alcoholic drinks by themselves, so make sure these drinks are kept out of the dog’s reach.