Personal Development and Leadership Course
Places are limited and members are not guaranteed a place, each application will be judged on its own merit and applicants may need to attend an interview at the Kennel Club. Please also bear in mind that if you apply and your application is accepted you will be making a definite commitment to attend that can only be cancelled in exceptional circumstances.
Georgina Ferguson attended the Outward Bound 2010 course in August and kept a blog of her experience, read it here .
Participant selection criteria:
- We are looking for members who are happy to become the next generation in dog show management through volunteering at Young Kennel Club events on completion of the course.
- Age range must be between 18-24 years by the date of the course.
- YKC events are extremely diverse and as such the selected group will need to represent all of the following areas – age, geography, gender, area of expertise.
- Members should be able to demonstrate good team spirit, leadership and organisation skills.
- We will also take into account the length of time that you have been a member of the Young Kennel Club as well as the range and type of activity that you take part in with your dog.
The course objectives in the past have aimed to achieve:
- Improved communication skills.
- Advanced teamwork abilities.
- Enhanced problem solving techniques.
- Increased leadership potential.
- Understanding of project management processes.
Once the selected members have successfully completed the course, an assessment form will be sent to the Young Kennel Club Management Team which provides a constructive analysis of your time on the course by the Course Instructor. We would expect you to then volunteer to help at YKC events in future.